Friday, March 24, 2006

Del Mar, Java Junkies and Louis Kahn

OK, I've been pretty lazy about updating my blog. So here's a bunch of stuff I've been up to the last while.

SAN DIEGO
I have fallen in love and my lady's name is California. I've lived on the Cote d'Azur and have been to Waikiki. However, I saw my most beautiful sunset at Del Mar in San Diego. There were surfers even though it is still March. With its exotic fauna and palm trees, I could easily believe I was in Fiji.


UNIVERSAL STUDIOS
Most of the rides at the Universal Theme park are "virtual" but are still an amazing and fun experience. I had seen the Shrek4D short on DVD but it is nothing compared to the actual ride with it's spraying of water and hydraulic seats.

THE WB STUDIOS TOUR
Here's leNorm and I sitting on the actual Friends' tv show couch. We saw Charlie Sheen and Lauren Graham taking breaks from their shows.


THE GETTY MUSEUM
This building started construction while I was still in architecture school and at the time there was a lot of buzz in the architecture world. Finally experiencing it in person, I was amazed by the attention to details considering the sheer size of this project. I was never really a Richard Meier fan but he did a truly amazing job. It brought me back to Europe with its marble open courtyards.


THE SALK INSTITUTE
This is considered one of the most sacred buildings in the pantheon of modern architecture. I saw this building in pictures so many times during architecture school but of course there's nothing like being there. It truly is an amazing place that inspires serenity and quiet.